Compliments, Comments and Complaints


Telling us your views, whether it be a compliment, complaint or comment, helps us to know what we are doing well, learn lessons from mistakes, and prevent them happening to anyone else.

How can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint in writing, by email, over the telephone or in person. Your complaint should be made as soon as possible (within a year of the event). You can make a complaint on behalf of someone else if you have their permission.

Who do I complain to?

NHS services commissioned by us for Camden

If you have a complaint or feedback about the way an NHS service has been commissioned by the CCG, or you have been directly affected by a commissioning decision made by us, please contact Business Support at the CCG.

Telephone: 020 3688 1700

The CCG will retain personal information for the purposes of a complaint investigation only. In order for us to make improvements to the services you receive, anonymous information about your complaint may be shared as part of our reporting process. Should you have any concerns about these arrangements please call us on 020 3688 1700.

Complaints about a hospital

Complaints about your treatment, staff or hospital services should be made directly to the hospital involved. Contact details for Camden providers are below:

CNWL: 0300 013 4799 or email:

Royal Free (PALS): 0207 472 6447:      

Royal Free complaints:

UCLH (PALS): 0203 447 3042 or email:

UCLH complaints: 0203 447 7413 or email:

Barts Health NHS Trust:

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust:

If you would like us to know a complaint you have made to the hospital please send it to us marked ‘for your information only’ to:


Post:   Camden Clinical Commissioning Group
Stephenson House
75 Hampstead Road

Primary Care complaints (Doctor (GP), dentist, pharmacist or optometrist)

If you have a complaint or compliment about a primary care service such as a GP, dentist, pharmacist or optometrist, then in the first instance you should contact them directly to try and resolve your issues. If this is not possible, you should contact NHS England directly:

Email: with "For the attention of the complaints team" in the subject line

Telephone: 0300 311 22 33 (this is charged as a local rate call)

You can use the British Sign Language service for those with sensory disabilities.


NHS England
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT

Information on how to make a complaint can be provided in alternative formats i.e. other languages, braille, large text, including sign language, please email us your preference.

Can I get help and support with making my complaint?

“Yes. If you require independent, confidential assistance with a complaint you can contact the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service (IHCAS).

IHCAS can provide you with support and advocacy through POhWER, their contact details are:

Telephone:  0203 553 5960
Textphone: Send the word ‘pohwer’ and then your name and number to 81025
Fax: 01438 846 025”



What will happen once I make a complaint?

Once we have received your complaint, an investigation will start. We will try and resolve all complaints at the earliest opportunity.

If we need a greater understanding of what you are complaining about, the investigator may contact you to discuss your complaint in more detail and agree a date in which we will respond by.

Once the investigation is complete, any necessary action identified will be taken to ensure the incident does not happen again. 

Will my complaint remain confidential?

Whilst your right to confidentiality will be respected, when investigating your complaint we may need to share information regarding your case with a third party within the NHS.

We will require your consent in order to do this. It may, therefore, be useful when making your complaint to include your consent.

You can either write this in as part of your complaint, or use sample text 1 below.

If you are writing to complain on behalf of someone else, you can either write this in as part of your complaint, or use sample text 2 below.

There may be times when we need to share information without your consent for example, to protect children and vulnerable adults.

Sample text for giving permission to share information

Below are two samples of text giving consent you may want to use.

The first provides consent for the CCG to share your complaint if we need to liaise with other NHS organisations as part of the investigation.

 The second sample of text provides consent when a complaint is made on behalf of someone else. Consent must be given by the person whom the complaint is about not the person making the complaint.

  1. In order to allow you to fully investigate my complaint, I understand you may need to contact other services within the NHS and I hereby give you my consent to do so. [insert name, address/date of birth/telephone or mobile number, email address]
  2. In order to allow you to fully investigate the complaint raised on my behalf, I hereby give you my consent to do so [insert name, address/date of birth/telephone or mobile number, relationship with complainant]

What if I am still not satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the response to your complaint, you should contact the service directly to see if they can look into the case further.

You also have the right to take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. There are time limits for taking a complaint to the Ombudsman, although the Ombudsman can waive them if it is perceived that there is good reason to do so.

The Ombudsman has the discretion to investigate a complaint immediately. However, the Ombudsman will normally only take on a complaint after you have first tried to resolve the complaint with the organisation involved and have received a response from them. The Ombudsman’s website states the Ombudsman believes that the organisation should be given a chance to respond and, where appropriate, try to put things right before they become involved.

You can contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033 or

Further information is also available at

You can write to the Ombudsman at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP

How do I leave general feedback?

It’s really valuable when you leave feedback about your experience of health care services. This helps us, and our providers, to ensure that you are receiving a quality service and helps us to improve the care that patients receive in the future.

You can leave feedback by reviewing a service on the NHS Choices website. Simply search for the provider and click ‘Leave review’. This is an open website, so other people will be able to see your feedback. If you have a complaint, or you need to leave any personal information, you should contact the relevant Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), please see question 'Who do I complain to?'.

There are links below to the main provider’s NHS choices page.

University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Choices page: University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Choices page: Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust

Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Choices page: Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Choices page: Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust

Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Choices page: Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust